Fall is in the air. The change of season makes the perfect excuse to freshen up your home with new accessories in autumn hues. Cozy up your home this fall with these simple decorating ideas:
- Change Out Your Pillows & Throws. As the temperatures start dropping, your living spaces should become increasingly comfortable and inviting for your family and guests. Two simple items that translate into comfort– throws and pillows. Scatter some cozy throws on sofas and chairs for an instant boost in comfort level. Even place a couple on your front porch or back deck to keep your outdoor living space inviting throughout the fall. Add toss pillows in shades of gold, red, and orange in varying shapes and sizes. You can find a variety of affordable pillows at Kirklands, HomeGoods, and Hobby Lobby.
- Dress Your Table for the Occasion. Adding a fall-inspired table runner (try Pier1…or create your own with something as simple as burlap) is the first step to getting your dining table ready for the season. Look to nature for an easy and affordable centerpiece. Small pumpkins and gourds, twigs, fall leaves, pinecones, acorns and hazlenuts in a glass vessel…all make perfect components for a do-it-yourself centerpiece. Add some candles and finish the table with chargers in fall hues.
- Fall-ify Your Fireplace. Ahhh, there’s nothing like the warmth of a glowing, crackling fire! Pull back the screen, bring out the fire poker, and (if you’re a procrastinator) clean out last year’s ashes. You may consider a decorative log holder that you can situate next to the fireplace. If its not quite cold enough for a real fire, try lighting some candles (in holders) in the fireplace to still achieve that warm ambience. And safety first–since it’s probably been several months since your last fire, make sure there are no leaks or odd smells before you light your first fire.
- Bring On the Autumn Aroma. Apple Spice, Gingerbread Cookie, Pumpkin Pie…oh my! Besides making your mouth water, candles in yummy flavors like these will literally bring fall into the air. And if that wasn’t reason enough, the calming glow of candlelight is even good for relieving stress. You may also try boiling cinnamon sticks, cloves, and nutmeg for a delectable aroma that will fill your home.
- Cozy Up Your Curtains. Replace sheer and other lightweight curtains with drapes in heavier fabrics and deeper colors. These will not only tie together your new fall decor, but will work as insulators to help keep the heat in your home.
Whether cuddling up for a family movie night or entertaining friends at a dinner party, your newly cozy home will be the perfect place to relax as the season unfolds.